Caring for Your Persian Rug in NY
For anyone who appreciates the art of home décor, a fine Persian rug can instantly transform any room, turning an ordinary space into a luxurious sanctuary. However, your valuable Persian rug must be carefully maintained – whether it is a contemporary area rug or an antique, experts recommend that you take proper care of it in order to preserve its appearance. There are several easy steps you can follow to maintain the longevity of your favorite rugs. The following guide offers helpful suggestions to ensure your Persian rug serves you for a lifetime:
If you're in need of "Green" Rug Cleaning Services, Give us a Call Today for a Free NYC Persian Rug Cleaning Estimate, it's Quick, Easy, and Obligation-Free! 1-212-359-1687
- Keep out of the sun: One of the most important things you can do to protect your Persian rug is to keep it out of direct sunlight – close your blinds when possible to prevent fading and discoloration, especially for antique Persian rugs.
- Rotate your rug: Although it may seem fairly obvious, many people forget to rotate their rugs several times per year. By doing so, it allows your rug to wear evenly and lessen the severity of “high-traffic” area stains as well as sun damage and fading.
- Alternate the pathway: When your furnishings are placed upon your Persian rug, it creates a “pathway” that leads to more wear & tear on certain parts of your rug. By moving the furniture slightly over the course of the years, you’ll reduce the chances of extensive wear on one area of your valuable rugs.
- Handle fringe with care: When your rug’s fringe becomes matted or tangled, do not comb or attempt to vacuum, as this will only damage your Persian rug. Instead, flip the rug end over end to realign and smooth twisted fringe – simply grab one end of the carpet and walk it over to the other end; once the rug is upside-down, the fringe will naturally straighten itself out with a few gentle shakes.
- Vacuum with caution: Even though it’s important to vacuum your carpet on a regular basis and prevent dirt from becoming ground into the fibers, vacuum Persian rugs with caution. You’ll want to clean them carefully, especially if they’re antique or vintage – if you can adjust your vacuum, turn off the beater bar to avoid snags and tears. As a precautionary measure, you may wish to sweep delicate, older rugs first to remove any surface debris.
- Clean spills right away: In the event that you happen to spill something on your Persian rug, be sure to remove any excess liquid immediately with an absorbent cloth or paper towel. Never use soaps, bleaches or detergents; simply dab the stain from the edges towards the center to prevent it from spreading further. Next, place paper towels or a clean, dry cloth under the carpet to prevent further damage to the back of the rug. To remove any set-in stains, use only water; it is best to leave difficult stains and soiling to a professional rug cleaning service to avoid further damage, especially if the rug is valuable or antique.
Expert Persian Rug Cleaning
As you can see, there are several simple steps you can take to preserve the lifespan of your Persian rug – however, when it comes to cleaning, stain removal, rug repair, re-weaving or other types of restoration, you need the help of a professional Persian carpet cleaner who knows how to properly handle and clean Persian and Oriental rugs. The rug care experts are specially trained technicians who are capable of restoring your prized Persian rugs back to their original splendor. Greenchoice is one of the premiere New York City Persian rug cleaning companies. Call us to talk to a representative or we can arrange for a technician to visit you and inspect your rug for a free cleaning estimate. At Greenchoice we perform our Persian rug cleaning in our dedicated rug cleaning facility to ensure your rug receives only state of the art cleaning from our hand washing vats to our temperature and humidity controlled drying rooms. When you need to deep clean your Persian Rug in New York City call GreenChoice Carpet.