To remove pee stains from mattress, you may use a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar, which you could make yourself at home. Numerous health experts, on the other hand, strongly encourage the usage of enzyme-based cleansers to combat it.
Accidents do happen, but they do not have to result in damage to your bed or mattress. There are number of mattress cleaning methods.
You should clean up any mess as soon as it occurs, whether it is a leaky diaper that has soaked your child’s bedding or pet urine that has ruined your bed.
In addition to producing an unpleasant stink, allowing urine to sink into your mattress may encourage the growth of fungus.
Cleaning Supplies You’ll Need
The products you’ll require to clean urine from mattress will be determined by your own preferences, so let’s take a look at two of the most successful methods to get pee stains out of mattress.
You might use a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar to clean up pet pee, which you could create at home.
The use of enzyme-based cleaners, on the other hand, is strongly recommended by several specialists.
In addition to being effective on a wide range of pet stains, enzyme-based cleaners are also effective on a wide range of surfaces.
Apart from cleaning solutions and absorbent paper towels, you will also require a vacuum cleaner to finish the work.
Here is a list of the best pet stain and odor remover for carpet cleaners for you to check out!
ALSO READ: Effective Ways to Clean your Rugs
How to Deal with Accidents on a Mattress
Do you know how to remove pee stain from the mattress?
1. For Wet Stains
As a result of its speed and effectiveness, this approach is the most frequently employed since it is the most appropriate choice for occurrences that have occurred lately.
- If the urine stain is still fresh, dab it with paper towels to remove as much of the urine as you can before wiping it away. Never rub or wipe the soaked area as this may enable the stain to infiltrate deeper into the fibers of your mattress, making removal more difficult in the future. Maintain the practice of replacing old paper towels with new ones as soon as they are used.
- To avoid additional contamination once the majority of the urine has been removed, gently scrub the injured area with baking soda to remove any remaining pee.
- In order to thoroughly cover the urine stain, do not wet it. Allow the vinegar to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before using it to prevent oxidation.
- New paper towels should be used after the vinegar has been allowed to settle for a short period of time to soak up any remaining excess moisture. Expect some of the baking soda you applied to be washed away at this stage; nevertheless, this is completely normal.
- Afterward, sprinkle more baking soda evenly on top of the damaged area and allow it to rest for 18 hours. To give your mattress an extra refreshing boost, sprinkle baking soda over the whole surface of it, including the sides. Because of the quantity of time required at this period, it may be necessary to modify sleeping arrangements.
2. For Old Stains
Once urine has dried, it seeps into the mattress’s fibers, leaving a dull yellow hue that persists even after it has been thoroughly cleaned.
The eradication of these types of stains necessitates the use of powerful oxidizing chemicals such as hydrogen peroxide.
- To ensure total absorption, sprinkle baking soda over the dried stain and work it into the fabric of the mattress with an old toothbrush or a dry cloth. Continue to leave the baking soda in place for a few minutes, or until it starts to color. The presence of colored baking soda implies that there has been urine absorption of some sort. It is possible to vacuum it to eliminate any leftover moisture once it has darkened somewhat. In order to attain the greatest results, you should continue this procedure until the baking soda is no longer translucent.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 8 ounces of hydrogen peroxide with 3 tablespoons of baking soda and a few drops of liquid dish detergent. Stir well to blend. Combine the three ingredients in a large mixing basin, and then transfer the solution to a spray bottle to use as needed. We recommend combining the ingredients in a mixing dish first, since shaking the spray bottle to incorporate them can result in a messy, frothy mess if not done correctly.
- Cover the urine stain with the cleaning solution in a uniform layer, but do not allow it to soak into the stain. Allow the mixture to sit for as long as necessary until it has completely dried. You may speed up the drying process by leaving a window open or by directing a fan toward the opening of the window.
ALSO READ: Best Ways to Clean Carpet Stains
3. For Stubborn Stains
After trying the aforementioned methods and finding that they are ineffective, you may need to use laundry detergent to assist in removing the stain or smell of urine from your mattress. After that, follow these five steps:
- If the stain is still fresh, blot it with paper towels, being sure to get rid of as much pee as you can before applying more. As previously said, do not massage or clean the fresh pee stain in order to prevent it from becoming more widespread.
- Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and lightly treat the problem area, allowing it to sit for one hour before cleaning. After one hour has passed and the moisture has been absorbed, use fresh paper towels to absorb any remaining moisture.
- If you want to keep your mattress from being discolored, empty your spray canister and fill it halfway with a color-safe liquid washing detergent. Using a gentle spin, fill the bottle halfway with cold water until it is entirely filled. If possible, avoid using warm water since it can set the stain and make removal more difficult in the future.
- The solution should be sprayed thinly and let to rest for one hour after it has been administered using the spray bottle, according to the manufacturer. After one hour, use paper towels to wipe away any extra moisture to keep it from developing.
- Baking soda should be applied freely to the affected area in order to assist ease the discomfort. Allowing the baking soda to sit for at least 8 hours will ensure that it is completely dry before vacuuming it up and putting it away.
ALSO READ: Can Carpet Cleaning Cause Allergies?
4. For Strong Smelling Stains
A high concentration of ammonia may be seen in urine from time to time.
Ammonia is an unwanted waste product that may be created by dehydration as well as bladder stones, infections, and other medical conditions.
It is possible that the smell of ammonia will be greater in circumstances when dogs are involved in the accident.
There is a persistent smell associated with ammonia, which is powerful enough to induce sleep difficulties in some people.
Fortunately, enzyme-based cleaners were developed specifically for the purpose of combating odors of this sort.
Such cleaners contain enzymes known as protease, as well as microorganisms that are both safe and natural in their formulations.
As soon as the bacteria have eaten the small particles of urine, they convert them into carbon dioxide and water, which are then released back into the environment.
When it comes to eliminating urine stains and odors from a mattress, enzyme cleaners are the most efficient option available.
However, it is critical to do a spot test on a non-visible region of the mattress before applying the cleaner to the problematic area.
If you want to ensure that your enzyme cleaner does not stain your mattress, make sure to carefully follow the washing directions on the product label.
ALSO READ: How to Get Blood Out of Carpet?
How To Get Pee Smell Out of a Mattress
While it is easy to remove pee stain from mattress relatively quickly, the disagreeable odor might linger for several weeks after the urine on the mattress has been removed.
The fact that baking soda has a basic pH implies that it can effectively eliminate the smell of pee out of mattress rather than simply masking its presence.
If you want to get rid of the stench of pee, use this easy two-ingredient solution:
1. Sprinkle the Baking Soda on top
If you’re worried about waking up in the middle of the night with your nose pinched because of a — ahem — foul smell, baking soda is a wonderful solution.
You must continue this procedure as many times as necessary until the entire mattress has been thoroughly cleaned and decontaminated.
2. Allow Time to Pass
Baking soda needs at least 5–10 hours to perform its job, which may mean you’ll have to spend the night on the sofa with your feet up in order for it to be effective.
Make an experiment out of leaving the baking soda in place overnight and testing it in the morning to see how well it works.
3. Vacuum the Mattress
If there is any residual baking soda in the mattress after letting it settle overnight, vacuum it to eliminate it.
When dealing with this problem, a handheld vacuum or an upholstery attachment will be the most effective tools.
Cleaning with a vacuum will not eliminate the stains, but it will get rid of the baking soda. As well as the stink that comes with it. If there is still a fragrance present, the procedure should be repeated.
How to Get Dog or Cat Pee Out of a Mattress
Dog pee on mattress and cat pee on mattress can occasionally have a stronger odor than human pee, which is due to the fact that animal urine is formed of a range of different components and tends to be more concentrated than human pee on occasion.
Also important is that all pet urine is completely cleaned from the premises since some animals like returning to a place that has previously been marked in order to repeat their act.
Pet urine may be removed from a mattress using a process that is quite similar to the one described above, with the exception of a few small modifications to the approach.
1. Baking Soda
Instead of cleaning up excess urine with a towel, as you would normally do, sprinkle baking powder immediately on the unclean spot and let it to sit for a few minutes before wiping it up.
Baking soda will absorb moisture when exposed to it. And its color will deepen as it drags urine up and out of the mattress as it absorbs moisture.
2. Vacuum Powder
After removing the old baking soda, replace it with new baking soda. Which will allow the powder to continue to absorb the urine for an additional 24 hours after it has been removed.
In order for the baking soda to no longer be visible as a dazzling white powder. It is necessary to repeat the method multiple times.
3. Clean Mattress
You should clean the urine in the same manner as you would if it were human urine after you have removed as much of your pet’s pee from the mattress as you possibly can.
Depending on how stubborn the stain is, you may need to repeat the method several times until the stain is completely removed from your garments and clothing.
ALSO READ: How To Get Smoke Smell Out Of Carpet?
4. Try an Enzyme Cleaner
Animal urine, in addition to being more concentrated than human urine. Includes extra compounds such as carbohydrates and fatty acids (in the case of dogs). As well as ammonia (in the case of cats) (in dogs and cats).
Using cleansers that include enzymes, which are biological catalysts that accelerate chemical reactions. It may be feasible to break down these more stubborn components.
Stains from pets should be cleaned with an enzyme cleaner that has been specially developed for this purpose.
Before using a solution, always check the label to ensure that it is non-toxic and safe to use.
Enzyme cleaners are readily accessible at most pet stores, and they may also be ordered over the internet.
5. Avoid Toxic Products
Additionally, it is critical to avoid using potentially hazardous chemicals such as bleach, hydrogen peroxide. Any other common household cleaner that has not been specifically labeled as non-toxic to animals, such as ammonia. In addition to ensuring that any enzyme cleaners you discover are non-toxic.
ALSO READ: Non-Toxic Carpet Cleaners
6. Pet Repellents
Keep in mind that even after you have fully cleaned your mattress. Your pet may still be able to detect residues of urine’s chemical imprint that are undetectable to you.
If this is the case, you should consult your veterinarian.
Use a pet-friendly repellant to keep animals away from locations where they have already peed in order to avoid recurrent disasters.
This will keep them away from the region in the future.
Green Choice Carpet Cleaning is one of the best mattress cleaning service in brooklyn – providers. We ensure to provide the most hassle-free cleaning service, at affordable pricing, using safe green cleaners. To get our service contact us.